Monday, November 21, 2005

Pittsburgh and back

Attending a national meeting broadens, strengthens, and rejuvenates thinking. I mostly attended National Writing Project sessions from which I brought back useful ideas to get more inservice work strategically planned for our site. Those of you wanting to help out with this, please let me know.

One of the highlights was the reception for Dr. Ben Nelms. At the end of the presentation part of the evening, Dr. Nelms shared our University of Missouri genealogy. (Maybe he can share a written copy of this with all of us). Our part of this “family tree” stretches back through excellent teachers, writers, and thinkers. It stretches out, as well, as I looked around the room at the people from coast-to-coast who are part of that “tree.”

From Richard Sterling’s NWP address, we learned that technology and ELL are crucial areas for our work. If you visit the Inverness website (http://www.inverness-research.org/nwp_ppt.html), you will see the amazing numerical picture of the work of NWP. Or just spend time at the NWP site (writingproject.org) to see more of the NWP projects.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

I attended the NCTE convention as well--went to writing project sessions, browsed at length through the vendor/publishers area--found several books I wanted, purchased some of them and will share. Went to three of the meals with speakers--the author of The House of Spirits chose to be interviewed instead of speaking to the crowd; her humor and candor amazed me. Bebe Moore Campbell made an excellent luncheon speaker; her subject of the mental illness of a family member could have been grim but wasn't. My favorite speaker was Ted Kooser (Koozer?)Poet Laureate of the U.S. The elegant simplicity of his poetry inspired me to search for his books at our local bookstore; Barnes and Noble has his poetry repair manual and the book of poetry that helped him win a Pulitzer Prize--they will be my reward when I've finished writing all necessary papers/documents to complete this semester and some of last Fall, too.

More, later.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home